Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Podcast RSS feeds blocked in China

When I was last in China (in March), I found it fascinating which podcast RSS feeds the Net Nannies blocked and which they did not. This motley mix of censoring the benign and leaving salty feeds uncensored (e.g., the Distorted View podcast) really emphasizes the keystone cop nature of China's Net Nannies.

BLOCKED RSS PODCAST FEEDS:

60 Minutes

Escapepod

Pseudopod

Scott Sigler

Pacific Coast Hellway

UC Radio Podcast

Best of National Geographic

The Economist

Talk Radio News

The Onion Radio News

This American Life

Well Told Tales

Comedy Central Stand-up

WSJ Tech News Brief

NOT BLOCKED:

Distorted View

BBC - Best of Today - not salty, but interesting that this BBC feed is not blocked given that the BBC was in a tiff with China a few years back, etc.

5 comments:

Scott Sigler said...

Seriously? I'm blocked in China? Any idea why? This is AWESOME!

Boyd Jones said...

The Chinese Net Nannies started blocking most RSS feeds about half a year ago out of fear that illicit content was getting through. I think, when in doubt, they block RSS feeds.

Scott Sigler said...

Any way I can find a listing? Would be fun to blog about it if I had some reference.

Boyd Jones said...

By the way, Scott, I am a big fan of your work.

No, the Chinese don't publish this information. The only way is to try your lock there and test out what sites and feeds are blocked and which are not. I'll ask some other friends to verify and get back to you!

Scott Sigler said...

Cool, but don't spend too much time on it, just wondered if there was some public listing somewhere I could use to help promote.